Monday, June 27, 2011

Let's get started...opinions on potty training

Some of my opinions on a topic that hits close to home these days...potty training.
I have successfully potty trained my oldest daughter. It took little to no effort (besides me harrassing her to use the potty every morning before we would get in the car to head to daycare/work). She has had fewer accidents than I can count on one hand. That is just her personality. If she was going to wear underwear, she sure as hell wasn't going to pee in them.
Well, now I am faced with my almost 3 year old. She has no interest in it whatsoever. If I talk about being a "big girl", she says she is too little. If I say that her big sister is doing it, she says, "well, I am the little sister". This girl has an answer for everything.
I want her to start school in the fall, I want to stop buying diapers (well pull ups now, because although she won't use the potty, she refuses to wear diapers because they are for "babies"), I want her to start to become more self sufficient, I want her to stop crapping herself. But I realized, it is not about what "I" want.
My final thoughts: wait until the child is ready...or you will be banging your head against the wall for months trying to make them do something that they may not be ready for. Hey, if she is a little over 3 when it finally happens, then big flippin whoop!
It will happen when it happens and I am not sure why parents set up a time frame in their mind that all kids must follow. It is not that simple...nothing is (as I am learning along the way).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Even though I am horrible at responding to comments, I read every one (even the spam comments trying to sell me cheap Christian Louboutins). Leave a nice comment and I will buy you a drink...someday.