Saturday, December 17, 2011

Happy Freakin' Holidays

So there was this birthday card that I use to think was so funny.  It was this fat guy looking all miserable on the front and when you opened the card, it just said "Happy Freakin' Birthday".  I got the same card for several friends over the course of approximately 3 years.  Looking back, I don't know what was so funny  about it but that is besides the point.

I was thinking today as I was in line at Marshalls that that card would pretty much sum up how I was feeling, except the sentiment would be about Christmas.  Not that I don't like Christmas...on the contrary, it is one of my favorite holidays.  But I was looking at everyone in line and I was getting more and more annoyed.  I can honestly say that I had never seen so many carts filled with so much crap.  It just seems like people buy to buy these days. 

Then there was a lady in front of me with 2 snowmen decorations and she was waiting on a price check.  The manager came back and said they were $1.99.  She was standing there for a good 30 seconds trying to make a decision on the purchase.  Now I know 30 seconds is not that long...but it seemed like an eternity.  I wanted to scream at her.  Come on lady, they are 1 freakin 99!!! You are not deciding what to do to deal with our nation's unemployment problem or balancing our budget, you are buying two godawful, unnecessary snowmen decorations.  Take them or leave them.  (If you are wondering, she bought them.)

As I was driving home, I was so relieved that I don't have to go out to one more store to shop.  I am done.  All except for alcohol purchases, but my husband will take care of that.  My part is done...now all that is left is wrapping.  This will most likely be the time I discover that I, too, am guilty of buying to buy.  I am fully aware that many of my purchases for my kids were unnecessary.  But the ones that were necessary and are being passed off as a gift (like snow boots and underwear) are sure to disappoint. 

So I am ready for the holiday to just get here already.  My kids are so excited and it is going to be fun with them this year.   But this prep work is for the birds.  And that is why I got the image of that card in my head today...and I had to laugh.  Happy Freakin' Holidays.  (I am going to have to start looking for that card and see if they still make it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Even though I am horrible at responding to comments, I read every one (even the spam comments trying to sell me cheap Christian Louboutins). Leave a nice comment and I will buy you a drink...someday.