Thursday, May 1, 2014

Please Know that It's Worth It.

As I was complaining talking about my kids the other day at lunch at work, I realized that I was probably making motherhood sound like the WORST.THING.EVER. Especially to those that haven't ventured down that path yet.

And it is not. It's far from it.

I want to be clear, very clear, that it is not as bad as maybe we make it sound at times. And I say "we" because I am referring to myself and all other moms who like to vent about that beautiful chaos that is parenthood.

Yes, my house is ALWAYS a mess. Even when it's clean, it's a mess.  Yes, I rarely have time for myself. I am NEVER alone when my kids are around. I can hide...and they will find me. Trust me, I have tried several times. Unsuccessfully.

My girls are at this really fun age when they fight constantly. ALL THE TIME. And they whine. There are some days when I tell them that I forget what their normal voice sounds like because the whining is NONSTOP.

Everything takes longer. If you think something like running to the store will take 15 minutes, you have to multiply that by the number of kids you are bringing along and that is how long it will really take. Then also add 10 minutes...because there is a chance that someone will have to go to the bathroom in an awesome public restroom that smells like air freshener and death.

Plus it's expensive. The food is expensive...you know, since kids gotta eat and all. And the clothes. And the daycare. Like, literally, my hand shakes every other Friday when I write that good old daycare check. And just when I get ahead (or caught up because, who am I kidding, we are never AHEAD), BAM, here comes another child-related expense.

So as you can see from all of these wonderful factors I have pointed out, it may seem like being a parent is a horrible task that millions of people take on because we are obviously not right in the brain and we want to punish ourselves for all eternity. Right?

Nope. Not it all.

It's something most people choose to do because they want nothing more than to create another human being and find out what they are all about and watch them grow and learn and change every single day. It truly is amazing when you think about it. You created this little person from scratch. You waited for MONTHS to finally meet them with cautious optimism...because you quickly find out that growing a human is a terrifying miracle and you will do anything in your power to ensure their safe, healthy arrival.

And when they finally do arrive? Well, there is absolutely NOTHING in this world better than meeting that little human. That very first breath they take simply takes yours away. And everything you have done to get them here is worth it.

And every day after that is worth it, too.

When they fight and whine, it's worth it. When they refuse dinner or spill their whole cup of milk on the carpet and you know it will smell horrible in a few days, it's worth it. When they drive you absolutely OUT OF YOUR MIND and you can't take another minute, you find the strength down in the pits of your soul...because they are worth it.

So to all those who have ever listened to me complain or vent, and there are many who have, please know this: It's all worth it and I wouldn't trade it for anything. 

You might also want to know that wine, gift cards, and offers of babysitting help though. Just in case you were wondering.

alt text

No comments:

Post a Comment

Even though I am horrible at responding to comments, I read every one (even the spam comments trying to sell me cheap Christian Louboutins). Leave a nice comment and I will buy you a drink...someday.