Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Completely Pointless Post about the Pop Pop from the Park

My friends and I are on the park circuit. Hard core.  Especially in the summer.  Most of you already know that I was a teacher and now I have a home daycare for teachers.  That means....SUMMERS OFF.  If we are not at the pool , we are usually at the park.  At least once or twice a week.  We have about 3 parks that we hit up regularly.  We bring snacks, lunch, drinks....we basically tailgate.  But all of this is besides the point.

Some time last year (not sure exactly when, and it even could have been 2 years ago. I am bad with references to time.), we saw an adorable grandfather at one of the parks with not one, not two, but three of his grandsons.  There was an older boy (maybe 5 or so) and TWIN boys (Looked to be about 2 or 3 at the time).  The grandfather was easily in his mid-70s.  I spoke to him briefly while he was trying to wrangle the twins into the baby swings.  He informed me that they were his daughter's kids and that he watched them while she worked.

As the grandfather and his crew left the park that day, we saw him round up (and it was no easy task) all three boys and pile them into a minivan.  Was it his minivan or his daughter's?  Not sure.  But we did see him quite a few times at that same park, and other parks.  Just today, my friend Kim saw his at the mall with, you got it, all THREE of the boys.  And that is the only reason I am writing this post.  Because once again we found ourselves talking about the Pop Pop from the park.

Kim and I began to imagine how this all went down. How did it come to be that this adorable, sweet grandfather got roped into watching all three of his grandsons, all day, everyday.  And he doesn't just watch them..they are out and about, apparently on the same park circuit.

This is basically how we imagined it all began:

Hey Dad, we were wondering if you would be able to watch the baby when I go back to work?

Sure, I would love to.  Why not?  I don't have anything else to do in my retirement after working a solid 40+ years.

Great, we really appreciate it and it saves us so much money!

Fast forward 2 years:

Dad, guess what?  It's TWINS!!!

That's wonderful!

And we just figured you could watch them too.

Ummm, okay.

And you know that sensible 4-door sedan that you drive?

Yes.

Well, you are going to have to go ahead and get rid of that.  Might want to trade that in for a minivan.  You know, since you will be carting the kids around to parks, playgroups, lunch , the mall.

I'll tell you what.  This damn grandfather deserves a pat on the back.. And the next time I see him, I just might tell him.

4 comments:

  1. This was the sweetest pointless post! I would do the same thing. Certain people that I see over and over again, and check out from afar can be intriguing to me. I imagine their situation, how they got into that situation, and create the story in my head.
    Or he could be a Hugh Heffner type of man, married to a 25 year old blond who gave him 3 beautiful children. He watches the kids, while she goes to work as a playmate!
    But I think your story sounds more realistic ;)

    Great post! Nice read. Not pointless at all.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I am soglad you liked it and didn't think it was that pointless;) I always imagine people's situations in my head. lol!!!
    And I thought the same thing...maybe he was the dad. But the one day he told me they were his grandchildren so I dreamed up a new scenario;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing. My parents have nothing to do with my son as he gets only two calls a year (they travel and have "a life") and he is the sweetest boy so I think this man must be an awesome person!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh - seriously! I'm sure he wishes it were more of a part-time, once-in-awhile kind of gig, right?

    Or - more likely - his wife is supposed to be watching the kids, but she sends Pop Pop out with all of them every single day because she already raised her kids! :)

    ReplyDelete

Even though I am horrible at responding to comments, I read every one (even the spam comments trying to sell me cheap Christian Louboutins). Leave a nice comment and I will buy you a drink...someday.