Thursday, May 9, 2013

8 years ago today, I became a mom.

It was a Monday.  The day after Mother's Day.  I had hoped she would arrive on Mother's Day...just because I thought it would be cool. 

And I was huge.  And I was anxious.  And I wanted to get the show on the road.

I was scheduled to be induced that Monday (because again, I was HUGE...and the doctor had me petrified was concerned that I wouldn't be able to deliver such a large baby if we didn't induce). 

It was a long day.  Within hours I was 8 cm.  My doctor was convinced it would be smooth sailing.

I never got past 8 cm.  Her giant delicate little baby head was stuck.

Finally my doctor said, "Are you over this?"

After 15 hours, I was over it.  So we threw in the towel...although I am not sure having a c-section is "throwing in the towel".

After about 30 minutes, we met our first born...our first daughter.  (The first of 3 girls?!  We NEVER would have expected that.)

She was perfect.  I know parents say that...or have to say it.  But she really was perfect.  Her head was perfect, her skin was perfect.  She was perfect.

That feels like so long ago...but also like it was just yesterday.

I have learned so much in these past 8 years. 

I have learned to put someone's needs in front of my own.  I have learned to be patient, when it seems like it is impossible.  I have learned to let things go.  I have learned that I don't know everything...and that it's okay to mess up sometimes.  I have learned what is truly important in life.  I have learned what it is like to love another human being more than words can describe.

I have learned what it means to be a mother.

And I'm still learning.

5/9/05

alt text

3 comments:

  1. And she's winking at the camera! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought it felt like having my heart walking around outside my body. :) the hours and the pay suck, but it's the best job in the entire universe and I wouldn't have missed it for the world! Happy Birthday to your precious daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a thoughtful post. Made me tear up a little, although now that I'm a mom, it seems that everything does!

    ReplyDelete

Even though I am horrible at responding to comments, I read every one (even the spam comments trying to sell me cheap Christian Louboutins). Leave a nice comment and I will buy you a drink...someday.