Thursday, June 21, 2012

Summer...the season of exposure to "toxins"?

Lather on the sunscreen, splash in the chlorinated pool, catch some harmful UV rays, repeat.

Then as night falls, load them up with bug spray if they want to play outside.

Do it all again the next day.

Is this how your summer days are?  I know it pretty much sums up most of my days. 


And I am a spaz.  As I put the sunscreen on each day (or for the 3rd time each day), I get all anxious.  It is my fault.  I read too much.  I look at the ingredients on every bottle.  Then I signed up with www.ewg.org to receive emails and important environmental tips.  Their motto is "The power of information".  It should be "The power to give me an ulcer".  But the Environmental Working Group is fabulous.  They want to give people ALL of the information about your health and how it can be affected by the environment or products that we use in our daily life. 

So last summer, I posted a link to the www.ewg.org and their list of the the best of worst sunscreens to use.  I will post the link to that list again at the end of this post.  If you are not interested, no biggie.  But if you are into this kind of stuff, please check it out.  I know that I check this site ALL THE TIME to find info on sunscreens, bath and skincare products that I use for my kids, and food.  I am not nuts about it...but it did honestly have an impact on me and what products I buy for my kids, especially sunscreen.

And by the way, I buy All Terrain Kids sunscreen from Target.  It is 9.99 for 3 oz, so a little but more expensive than some other brands...but I think it is worth the peace of mind.  Plus, my 3 year old has super sensitive skin and this sunscreen is great for her.  The only active ingredient is Zinc oxide.

All Terrain KidSport SPF30 Oxybenzone-Free Natural Sunscreen Spray- Disney Phineas and Ferb (3-Ounce)

I hope that this little bit of information helps you if you are interested!


Happy Summer!!!

2 comments:

  1. What about bug spray? I recently bought some all natural spray but 2 of my three monsters are allergic to mosquitoes so they are more prone it seems to get bitten even if I smother them in spray, use a dryer sheet tied to their clothes and have the citronella candles. We're going to spray our yard but wondering if you have any advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UGH!!! The bug spray is a necessary evil here. I tried the natural stuff too and it didn't work. 2 of the girls are also overly sensitive to mosquito bites and they get big welts! The dr said I have to use spray with Deet...that is all that will truly work. I just figure I give them a bath soon after using it...so that might make it not so bad. I have tried the Off lantern and that worked pretty well. But the kids are always running around and even with spray they still get bitten. The oldest has 27 bites one night...and that was with 3 applications of Off. It sucks!!!!

      Delete

Even though I am horrible at responding to comments, I read every one (even the spam comments trying to sell me cheap Christian Louboutins). Leave a nice comment and I will buy you a drink...someday.