Monday, September 3, 2012

What Would You Do?

This post was inspired by the amazing, wonderfully talented Mary Tyler Mom.  Her daughter Donna's cancer story is being featured as a series by Huffington Post during September, Childhood Cancer Awareness Month.  31 posts, 31 days for the 31 months of Donna's treatment.  Please, I urge you to go read it.  Have some tissues handy.  But read it.  Everyday.  I have shared it so far on my facebook page and I will do so everyday this month.  Every.Single.Day.  Donna's life is an inspiration.  Mary Tyler Mom is an inspiration for sharing the story and spreading awareness. 

We all know life can be crazy.  Bills have to be paid.  People get stressed.  People argue.  Children test your patience.  The house has to be cleaned.  There are not enough hours in the day to accomplish what needs to be done.  Jobs add more pressure. 

It's so easy to get wrapped up in that.  I do it, I'll admit.

But then sometimes I sit back and think, if we all have our health...and we are happy, everything is good.

It's true.  Isn't that all that matters? 

And it's hard to really stop and think about that.  Stop right now.  Take a break from the daily grind that is your life...and think about that.

What would you do...
if someone close to you (family member, close friend) was sick?
if YOU were sick?
if you were given a certain amount of time?
if you were given NO time?
if something happened in the blink of an eye and changed everything forever?

What would you do?

Would you wish that you did things differently?  Maybe.

Now I am not saying to go out and live like you were dying (like Tim McGraw says).  Because if we did that, let's face it, no one would work.  We would spend every last penny we had.  Things might get a little messy.

But maybe, just maybe, we could all be a little happier, a little kinder, a little more grateful.

So, what will you do?


alt text

9 comments:

  1. So true--it's too easy to become complacent and to take all of the good things for granted. thanks for reminding us to stop and appreciate and to really think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two of my best and dearest childhood friends were diagnosed with different cancers that took them so fast...they were amazing, young, beautiful, funny, smart...awesome Mommies. But in the time they had left, they worked even harder at living, loving, appreciating things, and leaving a lasting impression and memory. I wish they were still here. I love this post - LOVE. It is so hard to remember with stupid daily life crap, how special EVERY MOMENT IS. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just the simple fact of trying to see others' point of view, put on their shoes... treat them as you would wish to be treated! :)

    Bloggy Love from today's Link'N Blogs!
    Dawn @ With a Side of Thriftiness

    p.s. Hope to see you join in next week, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a friend that was just dx wi stage 2 breast cancer....it hits a little lose to home and really makes me think about what would happen if that were me...great post

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! And I do try to be truly grateful, but sometimes we just get caught up in life too. Sigh. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this wonderful post and for helping to spread awareness of childhood cancer. Three years ago, my now six year old son was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia and absolutely our world changed forever. He's doing well today, thank God and he has one year of treatment to go. We stillgive in to life's frustrations, but what I mean when I say life has changed is that we stop ourselves and think about the night we didn't know if he'd make it; when we didn't know what was wrong and while we waited four seemingly endless hours while he received two life saving transfusions. I've read Mary Tyler Moore's 31 posts about her daughter and my heart aches for her. I also so admire her strength. Indeed, I would say, live life, let your loved ones know you love them, don't take one another for granted and don't sweat the small stuff! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Katie! Following you from the hop. I've skimmed a few posts and I'm excited to read more. Thanks for this post. I just randomly clicked on your blog and saw this post that made me keep reading. I lost my six-year-old son to cancer two years ago, so it's an important subject to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a wonderful sentiment! Yes, we cannot just go out and spend every last penny, but we can stop once in a while to smell the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been working outside the house since my youngest child started school full time 5 years ago. My family got got very used to the extra money and it quickly tuned into needed money. In January my youngest daughter with special needs started having a lot of medical problems and everything seems to be pointing towards Mitochondrial disease.(which there is no cure for)Even though we really need the money and life will be a little tougher i decided to quit my job. My first full week home was this week. Mother's do what they have to regardless of what the consequence might be when it comes to our kids. When it comes down to it we follow our hearts and do what's right even when everyone else thinks it's wrong.

    ReplyDelete

Even though I am horrible at responding to comments, I read every one (even the spam comments trying to sell me cheap Christian Louboutins). Leave a nice comment and I will buy you a drink...someday.